1. Using ‘Pay a DVLA Penalty’ Online Service:

The digital facility links up with other GOV.UK departments. So, you can use the Pay a DVLA Penalty service to:

  • Pay a fine for failing to insure a vehicle.
  • Pay a fine for not taxing a vehicle or for failing to declare a SORN (e.g. it has been taken off the road).
  • Settle a bill to clear any outstanding road tax (check if a vehicle is taxed).


Your DVLA penalty letter will tell you how much you have to pay and when you must pay it by. You must make sure you’ve insured and taxed the vehicle, made a SORN or told DVLA you no longer have the vehicle after you’ve paid the fine. Check your DVLA penalty letter to find out how much to pay and how long you get to pay it. As a rule, you must pay a DVLA fine within 17, 21, or 28 days (depending on the type of penalty notice you received).

Before you start You need:

  • The vehicle’s registration number
  • The penalty letter you received from DVLA
  • A debit or credit card to pay the fine

2. Pay DVLA fine by phone


Telephone: 0300 790 6808
Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 5 pm

Find the same number on the official DVLA website: https://www.gov.uk/pay-dvla-fine


Find out about call charges

3. Pay DVLA fine by post

Send a cheque or postal order payable to DVLA. Write the registration number of the vehicle on the back of it.

Damaged or altered cheques will not be accepted.

DVLA Enforcement Centre
D12 Longview Road
SA99 1AH

4. Pay DVLA fine in installment

Can I pay a DVLA fine in installments, such as by Direct Debit payments? And what is going to happen if not?

The DVLA External Communications Team provides the definitive answer to this question. In fact, they ‘DO NOT’ accept this type of payment in installments. Always contact the DVLA if you cannot pay a car fine because any enforcement action would continue.

Failing to pay a fine before the deadline can result in ‘cartaxenforcement’ (e.g. by the National Wheelclamping Contractor). You can get your car clamped, crushed, or they can pass your details to a debt collection agency.

To pay vehicle-related fines online you will need:

  •  An accepted payment method for paying a DVLA fee (e.g. credit or debit card).
  • The penalty reference number is shown in the letter you received from the DVLA (e.g. 12009866).
  • Vehicle registration ‘number plate’ as shown on the penalty notice (e.g. AB12 CDE).

DVLA Release Fees

If your vehicle has been wheel clamped or removed (impounded) because it is non-compliant you will need to purchase vehicle tax and then make a payment of the relevant release fees. These are outlined below.

You must pay a surety fee (deposit) if you do not tax the vehicle before you get it released. The surety fee (deposit) will also need to be paid if you intend to keep the vehicle on SORN or make a SORN.

​Release fee (from clamp) ​Release:£100
​Release fee within 24 hours of offense (from vehicle pound) ​Release: £100
​Release fee after 24 hours from offense (from vehicle pound) ​Release: £200
Storage: £21 per day
​Motorcycles, light passenger and light goods vehicles ​£160
​Buses, recovery, haulage and goods vehicles ​£330
​Exceptional loads and heavy goods vehicles such as a large lorry or bus ​​£700

Data is taken from NSL Car Tax Enforcement Payment System : https://www.cartaxenforcement.co.uk/


Appeal a DVLA fine

You might be able to appeal a fine that you got for:

  • not taxing or insuring your vehicle
  • not telling DVLA you no longer have the vehicle

Reasons you can appeal

You can appeal to DVLA if you have proof that you:

  • taxed your vehicle
  • had insurance for your vehicle
  • already told DVLA you’re no longer the vehicle’s keeper

Your proof (for example, an acknowledgment letter from DVLA) must be dated before the offense.

You can’t appeal if you:

  • changed your address but didn’t tell DVLA
  • lost your paperwork or you never received a reminder from DVLA
  • forgot or were away when you had to tax, insure or register your vehicle as off the road (SORN)
  • missed a Direct Debit payment because of a problem with your bank

You must pay the fine as soon as possible if you don’t have a valid reason.

You can pay online for vehicle tax and SORN fines, but you must pay all other fines by phone or post. Your letter will tell you how to pay.

If you don’t pay the fine your vehicle could be clamped or crushed, your details passed to a debt collection agency, or you could be taken to court.

How to appeal

The letter you got from DVLA saying you’ve been fined will tell you how to appeal and how long you have.

If you’ve lost your letter you can appeal by writing to DVLA:

DVLA Enforcement Centre
SA99 1AH

You must include your vehicle’s registration number.

DVLA will contact you after they’ve got your appeal to tell you what will happen next.