Here is a guide that provides you with a detailed process on how to change gender or the name on your driving license. You can get all the information about driving licence update.
Driving Licence Update
The process of changing your name on your driving license is not different to address change on licence. You also should plan to change name on passport if you’re pursuing to change the name on your driving license.
- If you plan to address change on a license, you need to send your old driving license to DVLA not forgetting to make sure it is sent with the right application form and other supporting documents to change your name or gender.
- If you plan to change the title DVLA UK, for instance, Mr. to Dr, you need to follow a similar procedure like the one above. According to DVLA, you are not required to send any evidence, not unless it’s a hereditary title.
- The good news is that when you plan to change your name with DVLA you will still have a new driving license. And more to that, you are allowed to continue driving as you wait for your new driving license to be completed.
- During the whole process, you will never experience change name DVLA cost as the process is absolutely free. Therefore, whether you are changing your name or gender on your driving license, you receive all those services for free.
- It is a requirement to have the DVLA change name on v5 C vehicle registration certificate or your logbook if you decide to change your name. But, if you reside in Northern Ireland, the process is totally different. You may go to this page which applies to your driving license needs.
- If the process you are looking for is a DVLA change name on retention document, you can follow the information as provided on this page.
Can I Change My Name on Driving Licence Online?
It is not possible to update driving license online per the DVLA guidelines, as only the d1 form you can access online to fill your details. Also, something important you should note is that some forms are not downloadable as they have features that prevent them from getting printed.
- For you have to change name DVLA driving license for your car or motorbike, you do that by filling form D1. They are posted to a UK address only.
- If you want to change the name of your bus or lorry license, you are required to fill form D2.
- If you want to fill the D1 DVLA form, you can do so physically by ordering from DVLA directly or get them from Post Offices counters throughout the UK.
- After successfully filling your form, you should include your paper driving license or a photocard and also don’t forget any supporting document that is original to confirm your gender plus your new name before sending the form back to DVLA.
- Whether you plan to change name DVLA marriage or your name alone and you happen to have a paper driving license, you are required to send your most recent passport-style photo.
- In case you want to change your photo at the same time DVLA requires you to send a recent passport-style photo and you will need to also send a change photo DVLA fee through a cheque or a £17 postal order. But, if you are 70 years and above, or have a short period license, you are not required to pay anything. Remember, if you pay using a cheque, altered or damaged cheques are never accepted.
- If you are not sure what DVLA may require of you when seeking to have your driving license changed, you can go to the services page and check for information that resonates with your needs. Whether you are looking for DVLA form D497 or D1, you will get all the guidance there.
Old DVLA Change Name and Address on License Problem
- You have a chance to apply for a new license in case your old license has been lost, destroyed or stolen. You have to notify the DVLA of what happened to your driving license when filling the form. Also, DVLA charges for lost, stolen or destroyed licenses £20 either by cheque or postal order. If your cheque is altered or damaged it will not be accepted.
- If you do not have a DVLA change name passport, you need to send your identity documents together with your application for verification purposes that what you are saying is true.
DVLA Change Name Postal Address
- For you to change the name DVLA UK for a new motorbike or car license, after filling the application you should send it to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BN.
- If your application is for a new bus or lorry license, you send it to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BR.
- If you get stuck, for DVLA driver enquiries is easy by reaching out to their web page. Also, you can call 0300 790 6801, use web-chat or send email from Monday to Saturday.
How Long to Receive Driving Licence From DVLA?
- You normally get your driving license within 3 weeks after making an application.
- If DVLA will have to check several things like your personal details or your health status, it may take longer than normal duration.
- Before you contact DVLA, you should wait at least 3 weeks the given time when your license should arrive.
- It doesn’t matter you want DVLA change name phone number, address or anything else, by following the process above, you will be able to get help.